Updates and Changes to Benefits:
For complete and up-to-date information regarding updates and changes to your benefits and payroll information, please go to the UW Service Center’s Employee Resources page at https://uwservice.wisc.edu/employee/index.php.
Updating Contact Information
- Please refer to the KnowledgeBase Document # 26884 for more information.
- Please refer to the CFL’s Hiring Resource page
- Activate your NetID
- Benefits Introduction – Summaries of Benefits Options
- Benefits Walkthrough (highly recommended)
- Benefits 101 – UW Madison Benefits Introductory Course (highly recommended)
- New Employee Orientation
- Specific Benefit Plan Information and Applications
- Note: Unclassified Employees (Academic Staff and Faculty) are automatically enrolled in University Insurance Association (UIA) Life Insurance. It is a mandatory life insurance policy for unclassified employees and is an annual $24 premium. Please see the link for more information.
- Wiscard – Your Campus ID Card
Policies & Procedures
- Drug-Free School & Communities Act
- Inclement Weather Leave of Absence Guidelines
- Information Technology (IT) Policy
- Ethics, Outside Employment, Nepotism, and Political Activities
- Ethics, Political Activities, and Outside Employment (Unclassified)
- Office for Equity and Diversity
- Unclassified Personnel Policies & Procedures
- Unclassified Title Guidelines
- Academic Staff Policies and Procedures
- UW-Madison Academic Staff Website
- Reference for Conflict of Interest
- Wisconsin Administrative Codes
How to report monthly leave
Each month, employees will report their leave via MyUW by the 5th of the next month. Supervisors will approve leave time via MyUW by the 10th of each month. Instructions are attached below.
Instructions for Reporting Leave Time:
- If no leave time used, enter 0 in each of the Total Hours Rows.
- See chart below for reporting requirements:
& of Appointment Time Used What to Record
Part-Time Any Amount Record Actual Hours Gone
Full-Time Less than 2 Hours 0 Hours
Full-Time 2 – 6 Hours 4 Hours
Full-Time More than 6 Hours 8 Hours
As a full-time employee, you are held responsible for keeping track of your used hours. If you know that you took less than 2 hours time off once before in a month, please be diligent in marking that if you happened to leave another less than 2 hours time (to write in 4 hours on the second time gone).
Regent policy: A leave report must be submitted each month, regardless of whether any leave was taken. Failure to submit leave reports on a timely basis will result in a reduction to your sick leave accrual. Regent policy requires that you provide medical certification for sick leave used for more than five consecutive full work days, except when the use of sick leave is authorized in advance.
Regent policy/state law: Sick leave must be reported for absences during a designated 40-hour week. If no week is designated, it defaults to the standard state work week. It is important to note this “standard work week” exists only for the purpose of reporting sick leave. Please see here for more detailed information.
Other Unclassified Leave Policies:
- Unclassified Personnel Guidelines
- Unclassified Staff Paid Vacation, Holiday, and Catastrophic Leave Policy
- Sick Leave Policy For Faculty and Academic Staff (pdf)
Extended Periods of Absence Policies:
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA):
- Unclassified Policies and Procedures
- Unclassified Leaves of Absence and Leave Benefits
- Travel Policies and Procedures
- Specific questions should be forwarded to Carol Jenkins-Espinosa, the CFL’s Financial Specialist
For comments or suggestions regarding this page, contact Alyssa Luckey Winters.