Employer and contact: Adam Hinterthuer (email@example.com, he/him)
Spend your summer in the lab and out on the water as you learn about the world-class freshwater research going on here Madison and help us share it with the world. The Center for Limnology (CFL) seeks an undergraduate student to organize, promote and perform science communication activities for the CFL. This position is based out of the Hasler Laboratory for Limnology in Madison, WI.
Having students with different life experiences and backgrounds is critical to ensure the exchange of diverse ideas that is called for in training tomorrow’s science communicators. Because we are actively working to increase diversity and inclusivity in our discipline, underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
- Help faculty and staff organize informational activities for the general public throughout the summer, including visits from area school groups and summer camps, as well as our annual open house.
- Spend time in the lab and out in the field with CFL staff and students and help explain their current research projects to the general public in press releases, print materials, and digital media platforms like the CFL blog, Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Design and implement a personal outreach project with input from CFL staff.
- Preference given to UW-Madison students
- Enthusiastic approach to explaining science to the general public
- Excellent writing and communication skills for creating press releases, brochures, and other mass communication products
- Good organizational skills for scheduling and carrying out public information events
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- Background in journalism, life science communication, education, graphic design, art or related fields is preferred, but not required
- Familiarity with web page development and social media platforms is preferred, but not required
- Number of positions: 1
- Start date: mid/late May 2023
- End date: mid/late August 2023
- Pay: $14.50-no experience; $14.75-some experience; $15.00-very experienced
- This position is based full-time at Hasler Lab in Madison, WI. Housing is not provided. Parking at the CFL/on campus is also not included.
How to Apply:
- Application link
- Deadline: Priority consideration February 15
- Applications continued to be accepted until position filled.
The CFL is an equal opportunity employer and is dedicated to an inclusive and positive working environment for all.