We are looking for an enthusiastic undergraduate researcher to join a team of researchers in Madison, Wisconsin this summer to help Lake Mendota using the Fast Limnological Automated Measurements (FLAMe) platform. This project will investigate the influence of precipitation on algal bloom development on Lake Mendota. Spatial sampling of Lake Mendota will occur within 24 hours of a precipitation event. This position also involves collecting weekly water samples, sample processing, and maintaining high frequency sampling equipment. There is an opportunity to develop your own research project associated with this ecosystem experiment as well. Work will average to 40 hours per week, unevenly distributed over the summer.
Having students with different life experiences and backgrounds is critical to ensure the exchange of diverse ideas that is called for in training tomorrow’s scientists. Because we are actively working to increase diversity and inclusivity in our discipline, underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
- Assist with regular water quality monitoring and diel mapping of lakes
- Collecting and processing water samples
- Provide field assistance with related ongoing research projects
- General lab work and support
- Basic data processing
- Comfortable working in lakes and being in small boats
- Resourceful at problem solving
- Ability to work individually and under minimal supervision
- Willing to work in all safe weather conditions and occasional long and irregular hours
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Some laboratory experience preferred
- Valid driver’s license which meets UW Risk Management standardsis preferred
- Number of positions: 2
- Start Date: mid/late-May 2022
- End Date: mid-August 2022
- Pay: $14.50 no experience; $14.75 some experience; $15.00 very experienced
Location and Housing:
- The position is based out of Hasler Lab in Madison, WI. Housing will not be provided.
How to Apply:
- Application link: https://studentjobs.hr.wisc.edu/cw/en-us/job/501547
- Application deadline: March 14, 2022
- We accept applications until all positions are filled.
- Indicate preference for FLAMe Technician on your application and contact David Ortiz if you have any questions.
The CFL is an equal opportunity employer and is dedicated to an inclusive and positive working environment for all.