Description: We are looking for an enthusiastic undergraduate researcher to join a team of researchers in northern Wisconsin this summer to help monitor two lakes and sample other lakes using the Fast Limnological Automated Measurements (FLAMe) platform. The project and the position will be located at the University of Notre Dame Environmental Research Center (UNDERC). We will be conducting baseline monitoring of two lakes that are heavily used in manipulation experiments. In addition to monitoring these two lakes, we will be FLAMe-ing additional lakes. Specifically, we want to evaluate 24-hr processes that occur across lake surfaces. The FLAMe platform allows us to generate detailed maps of water chemistry and of phytoplankton. This position involves collecting weekly water samples, making profile measurements, sample processing, and maintaining high frequency sampling equipment. There is an opportunity to develop your own research project associated with this ecosystem experiment as well. Work will average to be ca. 40 hours per week, unevenly distributed over the summer.
- Assist with regular water quality monitoring and diel mapping of lakes
- Collecting and processing water samples
- Provide field assistance with related ongoing research projects
- General lab work and support
- Basic data processing
- Comfortable working in lakes and being in small boats
- Resourceful at problem solving
- Ability to work individually and under minimal supervision
- Willing to work in all safe weather conditions and occasional long and irregular hours
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Some laboratory experience preferred
- Valid driver’s license which meets UW Risk Management standardsis preferred
- Number of positions: 1
- Start Date: mid/late-May, 2021
- End Date: mid-August, 2021
- Pay: $11.50 no experience; $11.75 some experience; $12.00 very experienced
Location and Housing: The position is based at UNDERC near Land O’Lakes WI. Housing will be provided while working in northern Wisconsin.
How to Apply: Please send a brief cover letter and resume/CV as a single PDF to David Ortiz (email@example.com). Please include relevant field experience, course work, and research interests in your application package. For further details on these projects and positions, please contact David Ortiz. We will be accepting applications until all positions are filled.
The CFL is an equal opportunity employer and is dedicated to an inclusive and positive working environment for all.