Primary Contact for travel and reimbursement: John Burmaster
UW Madison travel policies can be found HERE. Please work with John when planning your trip or submitting a reimbursement. CFL prefers to pay for flights, lodging and car rentals directly so travelers have lower out-of-pocket costs. Additional information is below:
Flights – General Information can be found HERE
- All flights must be booked through the Concur online booking tool or directly with UW’s contracted travel agency. This is required for employee and non-employee flights.
- When additional travel days for personal time are planned, read Policy 3015 and check with John in advance of airfare purchase.
Lodging – General Information can be found HERE
- The easiest and best way to book lodging is through the Concur online booking tool or directly with UW’s contracted travel agency.
- As of August 2021, you can book directly with the lodging facility or through AirBnB.
- Third-party booking sites are prohibited (hotels.com, Travelocity, etc).
- You can determine the maximum lodging rate for your location using the Lodging and Per Diem Calculator which can be accessed through the Lodging – General Information link above (UW Net ID access required).
Car Rental – General Information can be found HERE
- If you will be renting a car you will need to be an Authorized Driver. Link to become an authorized driver can be found in the Car Rental – General Information link above.
- Car rentals must be booked through the Concur online booking tool or directly with UW’s contracted travel agency.
- Please see the CFL User Guide page on Vehicle Use if you would like to rent a fleet vehicle.
Mileage Reimbursement – General Information can be found HERE
- For trips under 800 miles you can use a personal vehicle and be reimbursed for mileage. Rates can be found HERE. Please note the rate decreases for trips over 300 miles.
- Reimbursement for mileage will be submitted through an e-reimbursement when travel is complete. You will provide a Google Map screenshot showing the mileage for your trip. The starting location should either be your home or CFL (680 N. Park, Madison), whichever location has the lower mileage amount.
Per Diem Reimbursement – General Information can be found HERE
- Per diem is paid at the federal rate for the location you are visiting. The link above has a tool for you to calculate per diem allowance.
E-Reimbursement – General Information can be found HERE
- Reimbursements must be submitted within 90 days of the end of the trip
- Receipt requirements can be found HERE
- You will access e-reimbursement through the link above to submit your reimbursement. You can reach out to John with questions, otherwise there is helpful information in the link above as well.
- The more information you can provide in the justification the better. Who, what, when, where and why is required. But including information on how the trip benefits CFL or sponsoring grant is also helpful.
- An agenda, conference program, schedule, etc. should always be included as an attachment.
- If necessary, John can be added as an alternate on your travel profile and submit the reimbursement on your behalf.
- Once the reimbursement is approved at both the Department and Division levels, it will be paid in 3-5 business days. It will be direct deposited if you are on UW payroll. If you are not on UW payroll a check will be mailed to your home address on file with UW.
For comments or suggestions regarding this page, contact John Burmaster.