Employer: Cassandra Ceballos (firstname.lastname@example.org) she/her/hers
The Stanley Lab is looking to hire one enthusiastic and resourceful undergraduate student to work as a field/laboratory assistant this summer. The position is based at the Center for Limnology’s Hasler Lab (Madison) and involves local travel to sample lakes.
This research seeks to determine if and how rising lake water levels have changed water quality of a seepage Lake (Fish Lake, Wisconsin). Decreasing lake and reservoir water levels associated with droughts can have dramatic effects on these ecosystems, but less is known about possible consequences of increasing water levels for lakes in regions that are becoming wetter, such as southern Wisconsin where large rainfall events and total annual precipitation have been increasing over the past 2-3 decades. Between 1975 and 2017, Fish Lake’s surface water elevation steadily increased by 1.8 m and the lake became connected with an adjacent shallow lake.
- Assistance with collecting water and sediment samples from lakes outside of Madison
- Assistance with sample preparation and analyzing water quality parameters in the laboratory
- Data entry and analysis
- General support of project team
- Strong interest in scientific research
- Experience working in a laboratory setting
- Comfortable working outdoors in variable weather conditions
- Willing to have occasional long days
- Comfortable working on a boat
- Experience trailering and driving small watercraft is desirable but not required.
- Valid driver’s license which meets UW Risk Management standards is required
- Number of positions: 2
- Start date: mid/late May 2023
- End date: mid/late August 2023
- Pay: $14.50 no experience; $14.75 some experience; $15.00very experienced
Location and Housing:
This position is based full-time at Hasler Lab at the Center for Limnology in Madison, WI. Housing is not provided. Parking at the CFL/on campus is also not included.
How to Apply:
- Application link
- Priority consideration deadline: February 15, 2023
- We accept applications until all positions are filled.
- Indicate preference for Seepage Lake Water Quality Field & Laboratory Assistant on your application and contact Cassandra Ceballos if you have any questions.
The CFL is an equal opportunity employer and is dedicated to an inclusive and positive working environment for all.