Employer: Alice Ogden-Naussbaum (email@example.com) (she/her/hers)
This position is part of the North Temperate Lakes Long Term Ecological Research (NTL LTER) project. We study the ecology of lakes as one of a network of sites established by the National Science Foundation (NSF) to support long-term ecological research. The Base Crew positions collect limnological data from our seven study lakes and do the associated lab analyses and data entry. This work, as well as opportunities to participate in other projects taking place at lakes in southern Wisconsin, will result in a summer of interesting and varied research experience.
Having students with different life experiences and backgrounds is critical to ensure the exchange of diverse ideas that is called for in training tomorrow’s scientists. Because we are actively working to increase diversity and inclusivity in our discipline, underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
Responsibilities (training provided):
- collect samples from our seven northern study lakes for a variety of biological, physical and chemical properties, spending roughly 40% of your time outdoors on the lakes
- perform associated laboratory and data entry work in addition to the field work
- conduct an independent project culminating in a short seminar presentation at the end of the summer
- Careful attention to detail and established protocols to maintain the high quality of our long term database
- Work outdoors in any weather
- Be physically able to lift and carry a moderate amount of gear over short distances
- Self-motivated and able to work with a partner in the field
- Valid driver’s license which meets UW Risk Management standards is required
- Number of positions: 2-3
- Start date: mid/late May 2023
- End date: mid/late August 2023
- Pay: $14.50 no experience; $14.75 some experience; $15.00very experienced
Location and Housing:
This position is based full-time at Hasler Lab at the Center for Limnology in Madison, WI. Housing is not provided. Parking at the CFL/on campus is also not included.
How to Apply:
- Application link
- Priority consideration deadline: February 15, 2023
- We accept applications until all positions are filled.
- Indicate preference for Southern Lakes Sampling on your application and contact Alice Ogden-Nussbaum if you have any questions.
The CFL is an equal opportunity employer and is dedicated to an inclusive and positive working environment for all.