Scientific Collector Permits

You must carry a valid Scientific Collectors Permit (SCP) with you when you collect fish from the wild, and at least one person in the field crew must be listed as an Agent on the permit.

We have several permits at CFL. PDFs of the permits are kept in ‘groups’ in the Scientific Collector Permit file folder. Review the permit for your project well in advance – including the conditions noted with the permit – to ensure your work is covered and that at least one person in your crew is named as an Agent on the permit. Be sure to review the disinfection protocol, too, and to notify the local fish biologist and conservation warden before beginning fish collection activities. If you are unable to access the permits, please contact Jake Vander Zanden (temporarily).

For current boat, gear and equipment decontamination and disinfection procedures, see:

For local fish biologist and conservation warden contact information, use the DNR’s searchable directory:

If your research is not covered by an existing permit, we need to apply for a new one. Complete the application form below (SCPApp) and send it toJake Vander Zanden (temporarily) to submit to DNR. It takes several weeks to obtain a permit so it’s important to plan ahead. If you need to add someone to a permit, email the name and birth date of the individual to Jake Vander Zanden (temporarily).

All SCPs expire December 31 each year. If the research will be continuing, we need to request a new permit when we submit the annual collection report (due January 10 each year). The collection report template is below. You must keep records of all collections. At the end of the year, Jake Vander Zanden (temporarily) will collect the reports and submit to DNR with a request to renew, if applicable.

DNR Collection Report Template

Scientific Collectors Permit or Research License Application and Authorization SCPApp R 9-17 (1)

For comments or suggestions regarding this page, contact Jake Vander Zanden (temporarily).  updated 9/16/19