The CFL has libraries at both Hasler Lab and Trout Lake Station:
The library has 10 hours of regular staffing per week. Staffed hours are posted next to the door of the library and on the library webpage: (https://www.library.wisc.edu/limnology/about-us/library-hours/). To schedule an appointment with the librarian outside of staffed hours, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
While materials may not leave the Hasler Lab building, they should be checked out while in use. To check out materials when the librarian is not present, use the self-checkout computer station OR email email@example.com with the book title and a picture of the book’s sticker barcode. To return items, place them in the return basket on the librarian’s desk to ensure they are checked in and re-shelved properly.
TROUT LAKE STATION
Materials may not leave the station but may be taken to the cabins if you are staying on station. Materials should be signed out on the yellow pad in the library and returned to the shelves when finished.
GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE CFL COLLECTION
- The collection primarily contains titles focused on limnology, freshwater ecology, aquatic zoology, etc, plus titles on statistics, GIS, and modeling.
- All books in the library are searchable via the UW Madison Library Catalog at https://search.library.wisc.edu/.
- The library’s current journals are donations, and availability is based on when those items are donated.
- Currently, the library receives the following titles for the Hasler collection: Aquatic Science Chronicles, ArcNews, Copiea, Bulletin of American Academy of Arts & Science, Bulletin of Limnology & Oceanography, Daedalus, Eos, Fisheries, Fishery Bulletin, Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, Lake Tides, LakeLine, Letters & Science Magazine, Nature Conservancy, Science, Stormwater, Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, Trends in Ecology and Evolution.
- Master’s and Ph.D. theses from most UW limnology graduates since about 1970, plus a few from visiting scholars and other CFL friends, are shelved by last name.
- Copies of thesis that pertain to research conducted at or out of Trout Lake are also housed at Trout Lake.
- Please note that the thesis housed at Hasler Lab are listed in the UW catalog, but theses housed at TLS are not.
- Most theses are available in the CFL Zotero Database.
Government (and other) Documents
- Many documents of all sorts, including pubs from IES Reports and WI DNR.
- These items are currently organized by geographic region, followed by organization (ex: United States. Wisconsin. Department of Natural Resources)
- Currently, these items are not searchable in the UW Catalog, however, where appropriate, some of these items are currently being moved into the book collection which will allow the item to be searchable in the UW Catalog.
- Please see a librarian for assistance in navigating this vast sea of documents.
- The library currently collects articles authored by CFL staff and affiliates, and we also curate a huge number of articles collected by CFL faculty members over the course of their careers
- PDFs are accessible on Zotero’s “CFL” Group Libary.
If you’re teaching a course, please plan in advance to have textbooks and other materials placed on reserve in the limnology library. Email the title/author and course number to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you’d like to your students to have off-site access to the digital reprint library, please contact us to set it up.
COLLECTION OF PUBLICATIONS RELATED TO THE CFL
CFL affiliated researchers are encouraged to send copies of your recent publications to the library for addition to our reprint collection. Contact the CFL Librarian for details.