Animal Care and Occupational Health

Training on Working with Research Animals

Everyone at the Center for Limnology who will be handling, sampling or studying live fish or other vertebrates as part of their work must complete training on working with research animals.* This includes all staff, students, TEs, student hourlies, and volunteers. It also includes individuals from other institutions working with live vertebrates at the Center for Limnology. The steps to complete the training process are outlined below. Reauthorization occurs every five years.

*If you will not be handling, sampling or studying live fish or other vertebrates as part of your work, you do not need to complete training.

EXCEPTIONS: If any of these apply, you do not need to take the training: 1) if you are a student who will have animal contact as part of an instructional activity AND will be working under the direct supervision of an individual who has completed training, or 2) if you are not affiliated with UW-Madison, such as a visiting scientist, AND will work under the direct supervision of an individual who has completed the training requirement AND intend to spend less than 30 days working with vertebrates, or 3) you are a student, visiting scientist or volunteer who will be under constant supervision of someone who is certified AND it will be less than 30 days.

Please contact Monet Hutchins if you have any questions about whether or not you need to be certified. You can look up what training you’ve completed on RARC’s web site. Click on My Profile to log in with your Net ID.

You must complete these steps before working with research animals:

STEP 1:  Complete the Animal User Orientation Course Online. Select Animal User Orientation from the Open-Access courses.

Please note: If you are a student at an institution other than the UW-Madison, you will first need to obtain a NetID.  Send an email to Alyssa Luckey Winters who will help set that up for you. Once you receive your guest NetID (it takes a day or two), you may proceed with Step 1.

STEP 2:  Take the required Safety for Personnel with Animal Contact class AND complete the Animal Contact Risk Questionnaire (ACRQ). Register for the Safety for Personnel with Animal Contact class with your net ID. and click on Enroll in Course.

After completing the Safety for Personnel with Animal Contact class, complete the ACRQ by following these steps (you will need your Campus ID #):

  1. Go to
  2. Click on Log In To MyUHS and log in with your UW net ID.
  3. Click on “Messages” on the side of the page.
  4. Click on “New Message” at the top of the page.
  5. Indicate status (UW Student, Employee…) and Continue.

STEP 3: Send an email to Monet Hutchins noting that you have completed Steps 1 and 2. In the email, indicate the name of your supervisor/research project. Monet Hutchins will add your name to the protocol and email it to you, and record your name in The Laboratory Training Notebook for your signature after completing the remaining steps. Approved animal care protocols are also saved in Groups\Animal Care and Human Subjects. [Note: If your research will fall under a new animal care protocol, the protocol will need to be reviewed and approved by RARC before you can be added to it. Be sure to add Monet Hutchins as a protocol writer and let her know that you are submitting a new protocol.]

STEP 4: Review the Standard Operating Procedures and the animal care protocol for your research. The SOP document is available below (scroll down to SOPs.pdf).

STEP 5: Enter your education and experience by following the instructions on RARC’s Protocol Personnel Training and Experience Management in My Profile web page.

STEP 6: Complete the on-line species-specific training for the species with which you will be working. RARC will send you an email with instructions for accessing the AALAS (American Association for Laboratory Animal Science) Learning Library once you have been added to the protocol.

STEP 7: Complete hands-on species-specific training for the species with which you will be working. The training will be provided by CFL personnel who are listed in the animal care protocol. It does not matter if you receive the training at the Hasler Lab or at Trout Lake Station. Any of the individuals listed in the protocol as trainers may provide the training. 

If you are at the Hasler Lab: Complete the Fish Training Checklist (available below) and email it to Monet Hutchins. RARC does not need the completed Fish Training checklist, but we will keep them in the Groups\Animal Care and Human Subjects\TRAINING RECORDS folder.

If you are at Trout Lake Station: Complete the Fish Training Checklist (available below), sign the log in the animal care book at the station, and email a screenshot of your completed online training to Amber Mrnak so animal training on the housing sheet can be checked off.

STEP 8:  If you will be assisting with surgery (e.g. implanting transmitters), you must also take the Lab Animal Surgery class. RARC will email instructions to you if this is indicated on the protocol.

Additional links related to animal care

Frequently Asked Questions

How does animal care relate to the Scientific Collectors Permits?
You must carry a valid Scientific Collectors Permit with you when you collect fish from the wild. While everyone who handles vertebrates must be trained and listed on the appropriate animal care protocol, just one person in the field crew needs to be listed on the appropriate Scientific Collectors Permit. To be added to a Scientific Collectors Permit, and to obtain a copy, contact Monet Hutchins.

When do I need an animal care protocol?
Any time your course or research project involves sampling, observing, capturing, handling, etc., any vertebrate species (generally this means fish for us) on any part of the UW campus (including Trout Lake Station) and/or is funded in part or whole by grants administered through the UW, you need an approved protocol. Check the UW RARC website at for more information.

If you are an employee or student of another institution and have an approved protocol from your institution for your research at Trout Lake Station or the Hasler Lab, the UW’s LSVC Animal Care and Use Committee has the option of reviewing the protocol, too. Please email the protocol and institution approval to

How can I find out if my project/course is already covered by an approved animal care protocol?
Check out the currently approved Animal Care Protocols in the ‘groups’ folder on the CFL server named “Animal Care and Human Subjects” or contact Monet Hutchins.

How do I get started writing an animal care protocol?
All animal care protocols are now submitted online via ARROW. Only the PI is able to submit the protocol.

All new protocols, 3-year renewal protocols and amendments (except administrative amendments) must be pre-reviewed by a veterinarian. PIs should contact Dr. Lisa Krugner-Higby (265-5581; to discuss the protocol under development. The PI will submit the protocol for pre-review via ARROW.

How do I submit my animal care protocol to RARC once it is written?

Monet Hutchins coordinates submission of all CFL animal care protocols. The PI should add her name as a protocol writer to the protocol in ARROW so she is able to access and edit it. See the ARROW Tips for additional information about working in ARROW.


Accessing Occupational Health 101 within Learn-1




For comments or suggestions regarding this page, contact Monet Hutchinsupdated 1/13/21