Description: We are seeking an undergraduate student to assist with a project studying natural populations of wild rice to learn the mechanisms that determine the success or failure of a wild rice crop. The successful applicant will work at the Trout Lake Station field station in Boulder Junction, WI which is part of the Center for Limnology (CFL).
- Participate in field work that will include frequent travel to six lakes to collect data on water clarity, water temperature, water flow, wild rice development and plant community composition.
- Collect samples in the field to assess the invertebrate community, sediment density and the wild rice seed bank density. Process samples at TLS. Drive a University field vehicle and learn to trailer, launch, and navigate boats (training will be provided).
- Be enthusiastic about doing field research on lakes in Northern Wisconsin.
- Be willing to work outside in all weather.
- Have excellent organizational skills to help plan and prepare for field outings.
- Have excellent attention to detail for collecting and entering data.
- Have knowledge and interest in ecology (preferably lake ecology), invasive species and the outdoors.
- Be familiar with aquatic plants (if unfamiliar, training will be provided).
- Be familiar with boats and trailering (if unfamiliar, training will be provided).
- Be familiar with Excel, Word and other Office programs.
- Have a willingness to talk to curious members of the public.
- Be comfortable in boats and able to swim.
- Be willing to live in a group setting.
- Number of positions: 1
- Start date: mid to late May 2021
- End date: mid to late August 2021
- Pay: $12.50/hour for 11 weeks of the summer
These positions are located at the CFL’s Trout Lake Station in Boulder Junction, WI in northern Wisconsin. Dormitory style housing (not food) is provided free of charge. Enjoy swimming, hiking, fishing, biking and shoreline campfires while gaining valuable research experience!
How to apply:
- Please send a brief cover letter and resume/CV as a single PDF to Alyssa Luckey Winters (firstname.lastname@example.org; she/her). We will be accepting applications until all positions are filled.
The CFL is an equal opportunity employer and is dedicated to an inclusive and positive working environment for all.