Employer and contact: Gretchen Gerrish (firstname.lastname@example.org) (she/her/hers)
We seek an undergraduate research student to organize, promote and perform science communication activities for the Center for Limnology’s (CFL) field station at Trout Lake Station (TLS) in Vilas County, WI.
- Help faculty and staff organize informational activities for the general public throughout the summer, including our annual open house.
- Discuss scientific results with staff of TLS
- Help explain those findings to the general public in oral presentations, press releases and brochures, as well as digital media platforms like the CFL blog, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
- Serve as the liaison between local media outlets and station staff.
- Preference given to UW-Madison students
- Valid driver’s license which meets UW Risk Management standards is required
- Enthusiastic approach to explaining science to the general public
- Excellent writing and communication skills for creating press releases and brochures and other mass communication products
- Good organizational skills for scheduling and carrying out public information events
- Knowledge and interest in ecology (preferably lake ecology), invasive species and the outdoors
- Background in journalism, life science communication and/or education and/or graphic design, or related fields is preferred, but not required
- Familiarity with web page development and social media platforms is preferred, but not required
- Number of positions: 1
- Start date: mid to late May 2020
- End date: mid to late August 2020
- Pay: $5,520 for the summer
Location and Housing:
This position is located at the CFL’s Trout Lake Station in Boulder Junction, WI in northern Wisconsin. Dormitory style housing (not food) is provided free of charge. Enjoy swimming, hiking, fishing, biking and shoreline campfires while gaining valuable research experience!
How to apply:
The CFL is an equal opportunity employer and is dedicated to an inclusive and positive working environment for all.