Employer: Bobbi Jo Helgemoe (Helgemoe@wisc.edu)(she/her/hers)
Description: Not Hiring for Summer 2020 due to COVID-19
This position is part of the Great Lakes Fishery Commission’s Sea Lamprey Research project. Our goal is to study the fate and transport of lampricides, which are chemicals that control sea lamprey populations in the tributaries to the Great Lakes. Sea lamprey are an invasive species that are parasitic to fish and cause population decline in native Great Lakes fish when uncontrolled. We will be looking specifically at how lampricides interact with the sediment.
Responsibilities (training provided):
- Collect water and sediment samples from the rivers and streams at the different sampling sites
- Collect water chemistry measurements in the field
- Participate in field experiments including addition of tracers and stream side mesocosms
- Drive collected samples from the sampling site back to UW-Madison
- Work outdoors in any weather
- Be physically able to lift and carry a moderate amount of gear over moderate distances
- Willing to wade into and be around water
- Self-motivated and able to work well with a partner in the field
- Valid driver’s license which meets UW Risk Management standards is required
- Number of positions: 2
- Start date: As soon as classes are over
- End date: Mid-August 2020
- Pay: $5,000 stipend for the summer
Location and Housing:
The field sampling sites will be in Menominee, MI or Little River, WI. Besides day trips back to Madison, employees will be on the field site for most of the field-sampling season. Lodging (not food) will be provided in addition to the stipend.
How to apply:
- Not Hiring for Summer 2020 due to COVID-19
The CFL is an equal opportunity employer and is dedicated to an inclusive and positive working environment for all.