Employers: Grace Wilkinson (email@example.com; she/her)
Description: We are looking for an enthusiastic undergraduate researcher to assist in research examining carbon cycling dynamics in nutrient-rich lakes. This person will aide in sample collection and processing from lakes in southern Wisconsin. A variety of sampling techniques, ranging from greenhouse gas collection, environmental sensors, and incubation experiments will be used to understand carbon cycling pools and fluxes as well as transport downstream. An ideal candidate has some lab or field experience (although not required), enjoys working in teams, and is comfortable working outside in all safe weather conditions, and has a strong attention to detail. There are also opportunities for the technician to assist with zooplankton and macroinvertebrate sample analysis and develop an independent research project with these data.
- Safe operation of UW-Madison boats and vehicles
- Careful data collection and sample processing including water chemistry, environmental sensors, sediment samples and dissolved gas
- Assisting with field and lab equipment maintenance
- General field work support
- Must be capable of maintaining detailed field notes
- Should be comfortable and confident working independently or with minimal supervision
- Some field or lab experience is preferred but not required
- Must be able to swim
- Number of positions: 1 @ ~30-40 hours per week
- Start date: mid to late May 2021
- End date: late August 2021
- Pay: $11.50-no experience; $11.75-some experience; $12.00-very experienced
- May also be selected for undergrad fellow
This position will be based out of the Hasler Lab (680 N Park Street) on the University of Wisconsin–Madison campus. Regular day trips for sampling, leaving from and returning to the lab, will occur frequently.
How to apply:
- Please send a brief cover letter and resume/CV as a single PDF to Grace Wilkinson (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please include relevant field experience, course work, and research interests in your application package. For further details on these projects and positions, please contact Grace Wilkinson. We will be accepting applications until all positions are filled.
The CFL is an equal opportunity employer and is dedicated to an inclusive and positive working environment for all.