Data Management Assistant (student posting)
Employer: Dr. Corinna Gries (email@example.com)
The Environmental Data Initiative (EDI) is funded by the National Science Foundation to provide professional data management, archiving and publishing to other projects funded by the NSF Division of Environmental Biology program, specifically the Long Term Ecological Research (LTER), Long Term Research in Environmental Biology (LTREB), Macrosystems Biology (MSB), and the Organization of Biological Field Stations (OBFS). Duties of the Data Processing Assistant will include organizing, describing and reformatting datasets for targeted use.
Specifically, the Data Science Assistant will:
1. Reformat data tables from the EDI data repository to specified formats (75%)
- With direction, analyze data sets for conversion to EDI design pattern(s), e.g. ecocomDP for ecological community survey data
- Create custom R code for each data set’s conversion
- Perform routine checking of new data sets to ascertain fitness and adherence to EDI standards
- Contribute code and code issues (as appropriate) to the EDI GitHub repository
2. Creation of metadata (20%)
- Collect additional metadata as needed
- With direction, prepare metadata in the Ecological Metadata Language (EML) using R code created by EDI
3. Review and archive data packages (5%)
- Confirm with data originators or their representatives that reformatted datasets are approved
- Upload to production repository
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
Introductory level classes in ecology or environmental science and preferably some field sampling experience; Experience with procedural programming, preferably R; Demonstrated capacity to learn quickly, work independently, as well as work within teams; Attention to detail and the skills to communicate effectively with ecologists and the project’s technical staff.
Please submit your resume/cover letter and any questions to Dr. Corinna Gries at firstname.lastname@example.org by deadline date December 1, 2018.
- Number of positions: 1
- Pay: $11.00 – $13.00
How to apply:
- Please submit your resume/cover letter and any questions to Dr. Corinna Gries at email@example.com
The CFL values diversity and is an equal opportunity/Affirmative Action employer