We are looking for an enthusiastic undergraduate researcher to join a team of researchers in northern Wisconsin this summer to help monitor and study three lakes (Peter, Paul, and Tuesday) with a rich history of whole-lake experiments. The project and the position will be located at the University of Notre Dame Environmental Research Center (UNDERC). In addition to conducting baseline monitoring on these three lakes, we will be measuring chlorophyll and carbon across depths to determine how mixing events (storms) affect the vertical distribution of phytoplankton. This position involves collecting weekly water samples, making profile measurements, sample processing, and maintaining high frequency sampling equipment. If interested, the student in this position will also have the opportunity to pursue guided independent research. Work will average ca. 40 hours per week, unevenly distributed over the summer.
Having students with different life experiences and backgrounds is critical to ensure the exchange of diverse ideas that is called for in training tomorrow’s scientists. Because we are actively working to increase diversity and inclusivity in our discipline, underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
- Assist with regular water quality monitoring
- Collect and process water samples
- Provide field assistance with related ongoing research projects
- General lab work and support
- Basic data processing
- Comfortable working in lakes and being in small boats
- Resourceful at problem solving
- Ability to work individually and under minimal supervision
- Willing to work in all safe weather conditions and occasional long and irregular hours
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Some laboratory experience preferred
- Valid driver’s license which meets UW Risk Management standards is preferred
- Number of positions: 1
- Start date: mid/late May 2022
- End date: mid August 2022
- Pay: $14.50 no experience; $14.75 some experience; $15.00very experienced
The position is based at the UNDERC near Land O’Lakes WI. Housing at UNDERC will be provided while working in northern Wisconsin. Enjoy swimming, hiking, fishing, biking, and campfires while gaining valuable research experience!
How to Apply:
- Application link: https://studentjobs.hr.wisc.edu/cw/en-us/job/501547
- Application deadline: March 14, 2022
- We accept applications until all positions are filled.
- Indicate preference for Cascade Project UNDERC Technician on your application and contact Danny Szydlowski if you have any questions.
The CFL is an equal opportunity employer and is dedicated to an inclusive and positive working environment for all.