Employer: Danny Szydlowski (firstname.lastname@example.org; he/him), Dr. Grace Wilkinson (email@example.com; she/her)
Description: We are looking for an enthusiastic undergraduate researcher to join a team of researchers in northern Wisconsin this summer to help monitor and study three lakes (Peter, Paul, and Tuesday) with a rich history of whole-lake experiments. Housing will be provided at the CFL’s Trout Lake Station, with research focused on lakes at the nearby University of Notre Dame Environmental Research Center (UNDERC). In addition to conducting baseline monitoring on these three lakes, we will be measuring chlorophyll across depths to determine how storms affect the vertical distribution of phytoplankton and change lake structure. This position involves collecting weekly water samples, making profile measurements, sample processing, and maintaining high frequency sampling equipment. If interested, the student in this position will also have the opportunity to pursue guided independent research on storms or a topic of their choice. Work will average ca. 40 hours per week, unevenly distributed over the summer.
Having students with different life experiences and backgrounds is critical to ensure the exchange of diverse ideas that is called for in training tomorrow’s scientists. Because we are actively working to increase diversity and inclusivity in our discipline, underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
- Assist with regular water quality monitoring
- Collect and process water samples
- Provide field assistance with related ongoing research projects such as storm research
- General lab work and support
- Basic data processing
- Comfortable working in lakes and being in small boats
- Resourceful at problem solving
- Ability to work individually and under minimal supervision
- Willing to work in all safe weather conditions and occasional long and irregular hours
- Some laboratory experience preferred
- Valid driver’s license which meets UW Risk Management standardsis preferred
- Number of positions: 1
- Start date: mid/late May 2023
- End date: mid August 2023
- Pay: $14.50 no experience; $14.75 some experience; $15.00very experienced
Trout Lake Station: This position is located at the CFL’s Trout Lake Station in Boulder Junction, WI in northern Wisconsin. Dormitory style housing (not food) is provided free of charge. Enjoy swimming, hiking, fishing, biking, and shoreline campfires while gaining valuable research experience!
While living at Trout Lake Station, we will also sample lakes located at the nearby University of Notre Dame Environmental Research Center (UNDERC), a pristine, gated property owned by the University of Notre Dame with 7500 acres of land and 30 lakes. With connections to both field stations, our position offers a unique chance to network with aquatic ecology professionals at both locations while enjoying the fun that both TLS and UNDERC have to offer!
How to Apply:
- Application link
- Priority consideration deadline: February 15, 2023
- We accept applications until all positions are filled.
- Indicate preference for Cascade Project Storm Technician on your application and contact Danny Szydlowski if you have any questions.
The CFL is an equal opportunity employer and is dedicated to an inclusive and positive working environment for all.