Description: We are looking for an enthusiastic undergraduate researcher to assist in research examining greenhouse gas emissions from aquatic ecosystems. This person will aide in sample collection from a wetland/stream in northern Wisconsin. We intend to use a variety of sampling techniques to understand where methane is produced and how it moves within the ecosystem before being emitted into the atmosphere. An ideal candidate has some lab or field experience (although not required), is comfortable working outside in all safe weather conditions, is a motivated problem solver, and doesn’t mind getting dirty. This person is also expected to develop their own related research project over the course of the summer.
- Safe operation of UW – Madison boats and vehicles
- Careful data collection and sample processing including water chemistry, sediment samples, dissolved gas, and gas fluxes
- Assisting with field and lab equipment maintenance
- Basic data processing
- General field work support
- Must be capable of maintaining detailed field notes
- Should be comfortable and confident working independently or with minimal supervision
- Some field or lab experience is preferred but not required
- Resourceful at problem solving
- Be able to lift and carry a moderate amount (~30-50 lbs) of gear over short distances
- Must be able to swim
- Must be comfortable in canoes and small boats and a boaters safety certification is preferred
- Valid driver’s license which meets UW Risk Management standards is preferred
- Number of positions: 1 @ ~30-40 hours per week
- Start date: mid to late May 2021
- End date: late August 2021
- Pay: $11.50-no experience; $11.75-some experience; $12.00-very experienced
- May also be selected for undergrad fellow
These positions are located at the CFL’s Trout Lake Station in Boulder Junction, WI in northern Wisconsin. Dormitory style housing (not food) is provided free of charge. Enjoy swimming, hiking, fishing, biking and shoreline campfires while gaining valuable research experience!
How to apply:
- Please send a brief cover letter and resume/CV as a single PDF to Adam Rexroade (email@example.com). Please include relevant field experience, course work, and research interests in your application package. For further details on these projects and positions, please contact Adam Rexroade. We will be accepting applications until all positions are filled.
The CFL is an equal opportunity employer and is dedicated to an inclusive and positive working environment for all.