In 1925, Edward A. Birge and Chauncey Juday founded the “Trout Lake Limnological Laboratory of the Wisconsin Geological and Natural History Survey.” Thankfully, we now just call it Trout Lake Station.
The Station began operations on the North Shore of the lake and wasn’t exactly easily accessible from Madison. Only 20 of the 220 miles there were paved and the journey by Model T wasn’t exactly comfortable! Still with the thousands of lakes to be studied in Northern Wisconsin and Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, most limnological researchers back in Madison knew Trout Lake was “the place to be” for lakes research.
In time, the Station would be relocated to the Southern shore of Trout Lake, where it sits today, but it is still widely recognized as a world-class research station and is used year-round by University of Wisconsin faculty and students as well as researchers from around the country and the globe.