Frequently Asked Questions 

Trout Lake Station dock at sunset
Who do I see if I have questions about procedures at Trout Lake Station.
The station has a user committee that works to improve and enhance research at the station. Please contact a committee member with questions, concerns and new ideas.

Committee members for 2017-2018 are:  Pam Fashingbauer, Susan Knight (Chair), Noah Lottig, Michael Coakley, Martin Perales, Tim Meinke Carol Warden and John Vehrs


Can I store samples at Trout Lake Station over the winter? If you will need the samples for the following field season they may be left at the station. Be sure to clearly label Research student at Trout Lake Stationwith name, date and throw out date. Freezers and refrigerators are cleaned out yearly and any unlabeled samples will be tossed.

What is the House of Lords and how can I use it? The House of Lords is a storage building at Trout Lake Station.The back half of the building is for long term storage and general use storage. The front half is used for frequently used equipment. Current projects will have a portion of the shelves to store their equipment. Please be courteous to other users and keep the walkways open for other to get to their equipment.

How is Lab space assigned? Lsummer cabinsab space is for common use, no samples or supplies should be left on commons area after use, if storage space is needed consult a committee member. Space needs should be included in your summer housing request.


How do I dispose of hazardous chemicals? Trout Lake Station has a septic system rather than sanitary sewer. This means that chemicals that can go down the drain on campus in Madison CAN NOT, for the most part, go down the drain at the station. Pam Montz are the contact people for chemical disposal questions.

Here are the basics:
• Acids and bases may be neutralized and put down the drain. Consult the UW fume hoodChemical Safety manual, on a lower shelf in the library, for protocol for neutralization.
• Ethanol, methanol, and acetone may be placed in the waste carboy on the upper back porch. Filter the solvent so that no solids go in the carboy. Fill out the form on the door indicating volume of solvent added to carboy.
• For all other chemical waste you must supply your own waste containers and take them with you when you leave.
• The UW Safety Department Chemical Safety webpage contains a lot of useful information on chemical safety and disposal.

Are chemicals on station available for common use? The Station does not have many general use chemicals. The exception is that we do have a fair amount of common acids. Contact Pam Montz in advance to inquire about availability.


How do I get access to the internet? Wireless access is available in the main labs and cabins. No password is required. Many offices also have wired access. The station has much less bandwidth than campus and users should expect significantly slower download and upload speeds.

How do I get access to the server? If you want access to the fileserver or general use computers, see instructions in the computer lab.

How do I add a printer to my computer? 
See Noah Lottig room 225 for assistance.

Equipment and Instruments

What instruments are available at Trout Lake Station?
Fume hoods
Two pure reagent water systemsstudents pulling fyke net
Drying ovens
Muffle furnace
Analytical balances
pH meter,(must supply own electrode)
Beckman Coulter Spectrophotometer

PerkinElmer Liquid Scintillation Counter 
Microscopes (compound, dissection and inverted)
Glove Box
Laminar flow hood
Large fiberglass holding tanks
Portable generators and pumps for the holding tanks
Four 75-gallon fiberglass aquaria and assorted smaller aquaria
Controlled-temperature incubation system for primary production measurements

wet suits dryingIs there scuba equipment available for research? Trout Lake Station supplies tanks and regulators. Each user is responsible for refilling tanks. Wet suits, masks, snorkel and fins need to be supplied by individual projects. There are some general use wet suits for occasional use but sizes are limited. There is a scuba committee that maintains the equipment. For questions contact Noah Lottig or Carol Warden.

How do I know if equipment is general use or project use? ASK!! If it has a name or a project name on it do not use without checking with a person from that project.

Are there Microscopes available for general use? We have 6 dissecting scope stations and 2 compound scope stations. Two dissecting scopes are attached to a digital camera. A computerized measurement and counting system is available with the camera-capable scope. We also have a Zeiss Inverted Microscope equipped for epi-fluorescence. All scopes are general use; scheduling is done informally among the various users.

Are there waders available for use at the station? No. Each project provides and maintains its own supply of waders. There are drying racks and storage for waders in the garage.


Are 12V batteries available for use? All batteries are (and must be) housed in the acid shack. There is a shelf in the shack labeled "Common use," these are common use batteries donated from previous projects that anyone can use. Do not use a battery unless it is labeled Common Use or you purchased it with your own monies.

Where can I put my project purchased batteries? All batteries are (and must be) housed in the acid shack. Project specific batteries should be stored in the section of the battery shack labeled Project batteries. Project batteries must be clearly labeled with the project, individual, or group name. Do not use a battery that is not yours unless it is labeled common use.

Where do I charge batteries? All batteries must be charged in the acid shack.

What should I do with a bad battery? Old batteries need to be taken to fleet in Madison for recycling. There will be a section in the acid shack labeled "Dead batteries to fleet". If you come across a bad battery use duct tape to label it "Bad" with the date and notify John Vehrs. Please check this shelf and take dead batteries when heading to Madison.

Use of State Vehicles

Who can drive station vehicles? In order to drive any of the state vehicles on Fleet Vehiclestation you much complete drivers authorization through the UW. Contact Pam Fashingbauer with any questions.

Who can be a passenger in a state vehicle? Only authorized drivers, UW employees and volunteers can ride in state vehicles. Family members cannot ride in state vehicles unless they are volunteering.

What if I am in an accident or notice damage to a vehicle?  There are accident report forms in all vehicles. Please complete and turn into Pam Fashingbauer, Susan Knight or John Vehrs. All damage must be reported within 24 hours.

What is station policy for personal use of state vehicles? State vehicles are to be used for University business. If you are a resident of the station and do not have your own car, a state vehicle may be used for trips to the grocery store or other needs related to living on station.

How do I reserve station vehicles? Vehicle requests need to be completed by Thursday morning for the following week. Request slips are located in the main office next to the vehicle board.

Recreating while here

Can I use station boats and canoes for recreational use? The boats are available for use after hours as long as they are not needed for research. Certain boats have restrictions. Check the boat list for which boats are for specific lakes and which are for any lake. Be familiar with current boat cleaning policies.

Can I use the scuba equipment for recreational dives?
Yes as long as the equipment is not needed for research. All Scuba rules apply: Must have certification on file at the station , must dive with a buddy, must refill tank.

Living at Trout Lake

Can I get mail at Trout Lake Station? Yes. The address is 3110 Trout Lake Station Dr, Boulder Junction, WI 54512. Please do not complete a change of address for the summer. Instead you may temporarily transfer your mail and put a stop date on that transfer.

Can I get Phone calls at Tout Lake Station? Yes. Our number is 715-356-9494. The station is open 8 am to 5 pm most days. If making outgoing calls please remember to use a calling card. Reasonably good cell reception is available from Verizon and ATT.

sitting around at lakeCan I have guests come and stay with me on station? Yes, if there is room. Check with Pam Fashingbauer before inviting anyone to stay on station. Even though a bed may be open today it might not be open tomorrow. The cost is $10.00 per night per person.

Can I bring my pet with me?
No. Pets are not allowed on station or in the cabins.

What is the alcohol policy on station?  Trout Lake Station is part of the University of Wisconsin and follows all UW policies. Click on the following link to review the UW alcohol policy.

Are firearms allowed on station?  Firearms are not allowed in the housing units. If you would like to have a firearm at the station for off hours use please contact the Director and we will work to accommodate your needs.

Who should I contact if I have a question/concern after hours? Check with the grad students or other returning residents to see if they can help you. If further assistance is needed you can contact any of the permanent Trout Lake employees. Try John Vehrs first.

Who should I contact if I break something on station? Contact Pam Fashingbauer, John Vehrs or Michael Coakley to report any items that have been broken or damaged.

Can I have family or friends come and help me with my project? Yes. We have a volunteer form that they need to complete before doing any field work. See Pam Fashingbauer for forms. If they are staying on station please check with Pam Fashingbauer for housing location.

What do I do if there is a medical emergency? 911 works. Do not confuse DNR Trout Lake Station, with UW-Trout Lake Station. Be sure to tell them you are at UW-Trout Lake Station on County N. The closest emergency room is in Woodruff at Howard Young Medical Center. An urgent care clinic is at the Marshfield Clinic in Minocqua if emergency room isn't needed.


Can the Station be used for research other than limnology? Yes. Contact Susan Knight for specific research requests.

Can I use the power tools at the Station?
Yes, all power tools are available for use. Please be sure to contact John Vehrs before using for instructions and location of safety gear. Please be sure to use safety glasses anytime you are working with power tools.

What tools are available?
We have most standard power tools. We also have hand tools that may be borrowed by researchers. Check with John Vehrs for specific needs.

What should I do with leftover supplies that could be used by others? Check with John Vehrs or Michael Coakley for location to put reusable supplies.

What should I do with building materials to be tossed? They can be put next to the dumpsters or check with Michael Coakley.

Can I have help building research equipment? John Vehrs is available to help design and build needed equipment. Check to see what is already here before building something new. There is an enclosed area next to the garage and the back half of the House of Lords that contains old sampling gear.

Where is my cabin located? See Map of station below.